Bernadette’s Definition of Meditation
Meditation is an ongoing practice of moment to moment experiences that cultivate an inner peace, aiming to go beyond thought and into awareness (restful alertness)
A simple practice of meditation as follows:
- Sit in a comfortable upright position
- Close your eyes
- Gently bring your awareness to the breath- notice the in breath and the out breath
- Now observe your natural breathing rhythm
- Now gently bring your awareness into the body
- Scan your body from head to toe observing any tension
- Now allow the tension held in the body to be released
- Gently imagine your body becoming relaxed. Now rest in this relaxed state.
- As the body is relaxed, allow yourself to be mindful of the present moment “the now”
- Thoughts from the past and the future will become present in your mind. Just allow the thoughts to come and go without resistance.
- Now allow yourself to sit in this present moment
- Have no expectations, all you are doing is being present in this beautiful relaxed state
- When you are ready open your eyes and return to the here and now.
Meditation is like a flower, the more you meditate, the more you blossom